On Thursday Congress will vote on whether to codify into law the unconstitutional, mass electronic surveillance of all Americans without a warrant or probable cause, for the first time in U.S. history.
They’ll do this despite the backlash of millions of people who called for an end to these illegal programs in the years since they were first revealed, and despite the security and intelligence experts who have said these programs make us less safe.
And, this single move would definitely make us a less free and less safe society, by taking down the privacy and security rights that set open societies apart from repressed regimes.
The good news is that a 43-member, bipartisan group of lawmakers are gearing up to stop the NSA's illegal surveillance program.
Just fifty or so lawmakers can make the difference in this fight to bring our spying programs back within the limits of the US Constitution.
These lawmakers, who are listed below, voted to end unconstitutional surveillance powers in the past but have since abandoned our rights to privacy and security for various reasons. That means, these representatives can be convinced to once again get on the right side If they get enough calls and emails in the next day and a half.
But we have to make sure this outcry happens as quickly as possible and reaches as many lawmakers as possible.
On Thursday, January 10th, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on expanding or ending the bulk of the US’ illegal surveillance of Americans through Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act, ahead of its expiration on January 19th, 2018. US government agencies use Section 702 to justify the warrantless domestic surveillance of Americans, something also known as the “backdoor search” loophole. Through this loophole, the NSA, FBI, and CIA can monitor, collect, and illegally search through the data of Americans without a warrant.
The House of Representatives has a choice to reauthorize Section 702 for another 6 years, without any reforms to rein in the government’s admitted and unconstitutional spying powers or end the backdoor search loophole. If they do the former and vote for the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017, they would expand the government’s authority to conduct warrantless surveillance.
With Section 702’s expiration right around the corner, this is the moment we’ve been waiting for to hold lawmakers accountable to their promises to uphold the Fourth Amendment and reverse the government’s admitted illegal violation of our privacy rights.
These mass surveillance programs are bad for our security and safety and make us all less free.
These are the lawmakers who need to hear from you. They switched their position from a “yes” to a “no” on closing the backdoor search loophole between 2015 and 2016, and can be convinced to vote to end it now if they get enough calls, emails, and tweets. Call or tweet them now. Here’s what you can tell them:
Defend the Fourth Amendment. Oppose the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017 and any attempts to expand the government’s warrantless surveillance powers. Support amendments that end the backdoor search loophole and reinstate warrant protections for government surveillance programs.
- Representative Pete Aguilar (CA-31) Phone: (202) 225-3201 @RepPeteAguilar
- Representative Mark Amodei (NV-2) Phone: (202) 225-6155 @MarkAmodeiNV2
- Representative Brian Babin (TX-36) Phone: (202) 225-1555 @RepBrianBabin
- Representative Gus Bilirakis (FL-12) Phone: (202) 225-5755 @RepGusBilirakis
- Representative Rob Bishop (UT-1) Phone: (202) 225-0453 @RepRobBishop
- Representative Mo Brooks (AL-5) Phone: (202) 225-4801 @RepMoBrooks
- Representative Vern Buchanan (FL-16) Phone: (202) 225-5015 @VernBuchanan
- Representative Cheri Bustos (IL-17) Phone: (202) 225-5905 @RepCheri
- Representative Bradley Byrne (AL-1) Phone: (202) 225-4931 @RepByrne
- Representative Carter (GA-1) Phone: (202) 225-5831 @RepBuddyCarter
- Representative Lacy Clay (MO-1) Phone: (202) 225-2406 @LacyClayMO1
- Representative Doug Collins (GA-9) Phone: (202) 225 9893 @RepDougCollins
- Representative Kevin Cramer (ND) Phone: (202) 225-2611 @RepKevinCramer
- Representative Henry Cuellar (TX-28) Phone: (202) 225-1640 @RepCuellar
- Representative Elijah Cummings (MD-7) Phone: (202) 225-4741 @RepCummings
- Representative Ron DeSantis (FL-6) Phone: (202) 225-2706 @RepDeSantis
- Representative Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-8) Phone: (202) 225-4276 @RepBrianFitz
- Representative Chuck Fleischmann (TN-3) Phone: (202) 225-3271 @RepChuck
- Representative Jeff Fortenberry (NE-1) Phone: (202) 225-4806 @JeffFortenberry
- Representative Tom Graves (GA-14) Phone: (202) 225-5211 @RepTomGraves
- Representative Al Green (TX-9) Phone: (202) 225-7508 @RepAlGreen
- Representative Gene Green (TX-29) Phone: (202) 225-1688 @RepGeneGreen
- Representative Jeb Hensarling (TX-5) Phone: (202) 225-3484 @RepHensarling
- Representative Richard Hudson (NC-8) Phone: (202) 225-3715 @RepRichHudson
- Representative Randy Hultgren (IL-14) Phone: (202) 225-2976 @RepHultgren
- Representative Duncan Hunter (CA-50) Phone: (202) 225-5672 @Rep_Hunter
- Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (TX-18) Phone: (202) 225-3816 @JacksonLeeTX18
- Representative Hank Johnson (GA-4) Phone: (202) 225-1605 @RepHankJohnson
- Representative Sam Johnson (TX-3) Phone: (202) 225-4201 @SamsPressShop
- Representative Doug LaMalfa (CA-1) Phone: 202-225-3076 @RepLaMalfa
- Representative Leonard Lance (NJ-7) Phone: (202) 225-5361 @RepLanceNJ7
- Representative Sandy Levin (MI-9) Phone: (888) 810-3880 @repsandylevin
- Representative Mia Love (UT-4) Phone: (202) 225-3011 @RepMiaLove
- Representative Stephen Lynch (MA-8) Phone: (202) 225-8273 @RepStephenLynch
- Representative Sean Maloney (NY-18) Phone: (202) 225-5441@RepSeanMaloney
- Representative Luke Messer (IN-6) Phone: (202) 225-3021 @RepLukeMesser
- Representative Richard Neal (MA-1) Phone: (202) 225-5601 @RepRichardNeal
- Representative Donald Norcross (NJ-1) Phone: (202) 225-6501 @DonaldNorcross
- Representative Pete Olson (TX-22) Phone: (202) 225-5951 @RepPeteOlson
- Representative Ed Perlmutter (CO-7) Phone: (202) 225-2645 @RepPerlmutter
- Representative Tom Rice (SC-7) Phone: (202) 225-9895 @RepTomRice
- Representative Dennis Ross (FL-15) Phone: (202) 225-1252 @RepDennisRoss
- Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-40) Phone: (202) 225-1766 @RepRoybalAllard
- Representative Pete Sessions (TX-32) Phone: (202) 225.2231 @PeteSessions
- Representative Louise Slaughter (NY-25) Phone: (202) 225-3615 @louiseslaughter
- Representative Chris Smith (NJ-4) Phone: (202) 225-3765 @RepChrisSmith
- Representative Lamar Smith (TX-21) Phone: 202-225-4236 @LamarSmithTX21
- Representative Scott Tipton (CO-3) Phone: (202) 225-4761 @RepTipton
- Representative Marc Veasey (TX-33) Phone: (202) 225-9897 @RepVeasey
- Representative Filemon Vela (TX-34) Phone: (202) 225-9901 @RepFilemonVela
- Representative Tim Walberg (MI-7) Phone: (202) 225-6276 @RepWalberg
- Representative Randy Weber (TX-14) Phone: (202) 225-2831 @TXRandy14
- Representative Roger Williams (TX-25) Phone: (202) 225-9896 @RepRWilliams
- Representative Don Young (AK) Phone: (202) 225-5765 @repdonyoung
- Representative David Young (IA-3) Phone: (202) 225-5476 @RepDavidYoung
Did not vote:
- Representative Karen Bass (CA-37) Phone: (202) 225-7084 @RepKarenBass
- Representative Dave Brat (VA-7) Phone: (202) 225-2815 @RepDaveBrat
- Representative Michael Doyle (PA-14) Phone: (202) 225-2135 @MichaelDoyle10
- Representative Jaime Herrera Beutler (WA-3) Phone: (202) 225-3536 @HerreraBeutler
- Representative Jan Schakowsky (IL-9) Phone: (202) 225-2111 @janschakowsky
- Representative David Scott (GA-13) Phone: (202) 225-2939 @repdavidscott
- Representative Frederica Wilson (FL-24) Phone: (202) 225-4506 @RepWilson
Then, use this tool to tell your lawmakers to stop the NSA's illegal spying program.